Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Squeezing the Juice Out of Summer


Miss B is starting school in less than a month.  Wowzer!  I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in feeling like this summer has totally flown by.  I am not ready to say goodbye to the lazy days of the season, so I am basically (at least for now) ignoring the fact that it's almost over. So if we want to take a lazy pool day, say, swim with a frog, realize this frog might need a rescue, and then successfully complete said rescue and swim some more, so be it.  I want to operate for the moment like there is no end to these luxurious days without external obligations.  Indulge me won't you?




Our town is having it's second annual Lantern Fest August 22nd.  We are all excited as can be and making plans to start making our lanterns this week.  Last year was pretty awesome.  Again, love, love our town.

I splurged on some chocolate mint, apple mint and regular old spearmint to fill in some planters that had had less than stellar results with cukes.  The mint looks great and now we're on a mojito kick.  Here's my recipe.  I started off with the real deal and have since moved to virgins.  I can honestly say I enjoy them equally.

Mama Wants a Mojito Please
10 mint leaves (I've been pleased with any variety I've used)
1 spoonful of sugar (I'm thinking I might try maple syrup instead tonight)
Juice of one lime (or juice of half a lemon, which was what I had on hand)
2 oz of rum (optional)
Ice
Seltzer

Put the mint leaves in a pint glass.  Add the sugar and muddle with a spurtle or the handle of a wooden spoon.  This will release oil from the mint leaves.  Add the lime or lemon juice and muddle some more.  Add the rum if you wish and then fill the glass with ice and top with seltzer.  Give a stir and garnish with another mint leaf or two.  Sip and savor.

Hope your day has the scent of mint in it somewhere lovelies.



No comments:

Post a Comment